Monday, August 20, 2007

Freerolls galore and a change of scenery

Ok first thing's first. No my PC is not fixed yet. I ended up bringing back my 6 years old piece of shit former PC to life just to allow me to play poker until I find replacement parts or just decide to buy a new one.

This week end I played in two railbirds freerolls. I don't have my notes with me right now so I can't post specific hands right now but I'll do so later on when I get home. The first freeroll was a Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo. Now I'm nowhere near an expert at Omaha Hi/Lo, that said I still feel that I had a better understanding of the game that the majority of the field there. That's not to say that I didn't make some newbie mistakes because I sure did. Stuff like betting strong for the low in a three way pot while I had absolutly no shot at the Hi. The particular hand I'm thinking about I ended up splitting the low pot with another player, which means that even though I had a good low hand, I actually ended up with only 25% of the pot after having contributed roughly 33% of the money in it. Silly me, I should have realised that this contested pot would most likely end up like that. Guess that's part of the learning process! That said I had a ton of fun and I will most definitly participate in these Omaha Hi/Lo freerolls whenever they come up.

On Sunday I signed up for a NL Hold'Em freeroll on FullTilt poker. I had never really tried seriously FullTilt. It might sound silly, but I think that actually playing on a site helped me focus a bit more. It had been a while since I last felt that good while playing poker. I was really focused and everything seemed to click. I was getting good reads and acting accordingly. Stealing from opponents I felt weak, getting out of the way when I sensed strength etc. In the end I didn't make the money but I still finished in about the top 30% which I am definitly happy about. After the first break I was in the top 10% and stayed that way until a few hands ate a huge part of my stack. (I will post more about these hands later on). This good session put me back in the state of mind I was in when I had constant winning sessions, before the cold streak I was in hit me.

Watch out people! I'm back!

No comments: