Monday, May 07, 2007

Mixed results, weekly home game and tourneys

Well it's been a while since I posted here so I'm way overdue and have quite a bit of mixed feelings so not too sure how this entry will turn out.

Lately my cash game results have been horrible, either on pokerstars or in our weekly homegame (which has started to pick up and is going pretty well so far). Basically I suffer from Callingstationitisme. I play very undisciplined, don't pay much attention and make calls I know better than to make. THANK GOD tonight I had a pretty good session. Ended up making about 3$ profits in 0.05/0.10 (which I've pretty much permanently switched to now. I feel there's more poker and less random coin flipping in there so I just enjoy it more). Anyway, while I was playing everything was falling into place, I had a pretty good read on a few people at the table, was able to stay focused and act according to my instincts and reads. Once I started losing focus I went to do a multi-table sit & go which went, expectedly, pretty quick lol.

Anyway, that session is a big positive for me, showing me I can still play, I'm not completely fucked and that I just need to focus on it and take it more seriously when I am playing.

Last friday night I had my first money finish on a tourney on PokerStars. Finished 68th out of 1663 people. Pretty happy about it. It all went pretty well except at some point I ended up focusing way too much on the different money bracket and trying to move up in it. That got me to playing way too tight and just anteing myself out. I ended up with about 21,000 chips with the blinds at 1000/2000 with an 100 ante. I look up at Kh Jh from late position (one seat on the right of the cut off to be more accurate). Some guy from middle position makes it 16,000 to go. At that point in the tourney and with the chips I have relative to the blinds there's no way I'm folding KJ suited. Even though it's a hand that can easily be dominated I figure that I have to start taking chances pretty soon anyway since I basically lose 3900 chips per orbit and any standard raise I want to make pretty much commits me to the pot. So anyway, instead of just calling his raise and being left with a smallish 5,000 chips and being pot commited anyway I just push all in right there. He calls with pocket queens. Board doesn't help me in anyway and I hit the rail, still happy that I made some profit on that tourney.

So tomorrow is our home game. Last 2 weeks I went totally broke both times, I have to do better tomorrow. First step I'll take towards that is to have less beers lol.

I'll try posting again here more frequently in the next few weeks.

Oh, btw, next sunday I have my dealer's course and I'm thrilled about this! Will post more about this once it's done!

No comments: