Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The return of the home game!

After 6 months of absence, last night saw the return of our homegame! Nothing like playing micro-stakes poker live with a bunch of people who don't really care about anything except than trying to have a good time while playing cards.

That game has always been -EV money wise (lol at spending 15$ in beer and winning 10$ at poker) but so much +EV fun wise!

I guess if anything, my poker goal when it comes to the home game is to spread the love of poker. I want people to have a good time (and of course, I'd rather they have a good time while sending their chips my way!) and discover the subtelties that make poker such a great game. I am by no means an expert, but I definitly know tons more than our average homegame player so I offered to make small "strategy segments" in our home game where I will share what knowledge I can. (starting by teaching Alex not to go all-in vs me... like... ever).

Anybody has an idea of what aspect of the game I should bring up to a mostly noobish crowd, just leave a suggestion in the comments section please.

On a sad note though, a nice streak was broken last night. As far as I can remember, it's the first time the Montreal Canadiens lost a game while we were playing poker at my place... must be the new condo!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mark my words: I.Will.Felt.You.Again. Someday.
rofl

Yup first Habs loss when there's a homegame... As long as we don't go the exact opposite of last year, they should be fine though (*fingers crossed-knock on wood-utter quick prayer-etc.*) :D.

The Eureka Kid said...

Blog looks good! Wanna trade links with me? Let me know at eurekakid.com

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Aggression and bluffing are all part of the fun of a low stakes home game, so no advice needed there.

Playing fewer hands is the hardest (boring) part. So best help is to get them used to starting hand rankings. Raising with high pocket Pairs and Broadways is easy and limping with small to medium pocket pairs, suited connectors and Ax/Kxs is a good guideline.

No one is going to follow it as they'll soon realise that it is too predictable a formula and not fun. When they lose a hand they'll at least be able to trace it back most times to poor preflop hand selection. Those that transition to TAG sooner will get the results that will shift the game to something more akin to online.

Ultimately, online can be serious and home games should be fun - always +EV.