Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ain't variance great ?!?

I'm in the middle of a very rough streak. I seem to have been on the wrong side of variance for quite a while. I make second best hands a lot, my sets are cracked at an absurd rate and I can't hit a draw to save my life. And all that and the frustration that comes with it makes me play way worse than I should.

The good point is that I am definitly playing a lot of hands and should hit my volume goal for January. the bad point is that I stuck being slightly in the red.

I have a few things planned to get my focus back, while I can't control variance, I know for a fact that I am making things worse by being frustrated, playing a bit impatiently or scared. So what's the plan?

- More game studying. I need to start to study my own play and the other regs play more regularly. About 6 months ago, when I was in my best poker period, I was doing that a lot. That includes session reviews, posting hands on 2+2, discussing specific hands a lot with Alex, Joff and whoever else wants to discuss poker.

- Spend time just "focusing". I realised a few days ago that if I take time to just close my eyes, try to relax and take a few deep breath (even if only for a few seconds) it helps putting me back in a calm and positive state of mind. Gotta do more of that, especially when I feel myself becoming frustrated at the tables.

- Keep on playing. I cannot let that rough patch sidetrack me. If I do the two other things I've mentionned and just keep on playing I know the results will come back.

2 comments:

TiocfaidhArLa said...

For what it is worth, I was struggling of late and one hand has turned things around, at least for a few days.

Can I ask that you post a link to some of your 2+2 hands on your blog as I'd welcome participating in the discussions too.

Break even at volume being a bad month must be a good sign in the grand scheme of things. Kudos for continuing to grind it out and avoiding mega-tilt.

Unknown said...

Variance IS a bitch... And she might be getting the best of me... So keep it up; one of us has got to make her pay ;-)...