Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I can smell it...

Well since my laptop was stolen I have not been playing anything near my usual volume. That said, playing HUD-less has forced me to play more focused and while I suffered a bit from fancy play syndrome at first (I often do following a hiatus), my results overall have been pretty good. Add to that the fact that I'm currently clearing a bonus on CD Poker and I've quietly made it very close to my year goal of reaching NL50 by the end of 2008.

It's strange, in the past whenever I was getting close to move up I would get edgy, impatient and kinda nervous about it. Not this time. I don't know if it's the fact that I'm not playing like I'm used to (currently playing HUD less and on less tables), or the fact that I'm not playing as much or that I'm clearing a bonus... Anyway, I don't feel the jitters I had when closing in on NL25.

On another note, I have been talking poker strategy a lot with a good friend of mine who is struggling a bit right now playing on his first online money. I love this! Talking about lots of stuff forces me to think about it all and ask myself why I do certain things. I also tried to come up with a basic strategy that could make him an instant winner from NL2 to NL10 (and most likely even higher). My goal was to come up with an easy to teach playbook that would keep it simple and still be efficient. This has been a recurring theme for me lately. I was discussing a prop bet idea with Alex. The bet was that in 4 hours of coaching I could make someone with just basic poker knowledge (like a flush beats a straight type of knowledge) a winner at NL2. We have not come up with a candidate or the particular details of how this bet would work out but I thought it would be an interesting idea. So if you know someone who would be a nice candidate let me know!

2 comments:

TiocfaidhArLa said...

I've no doubts that you'll do well at NL50 as it isn't that big a step up compared to winning at NL25, IMHO.

As for the prop bet, I'd say that variance will make it a coin flip before the candidate will get bored and vary from your stategy, assuming that it is ultra-tight short-stacking.

Either way, the candidate will win long term by going straight to Ray Zee's 2nd stage of the evolution of a poker player, a modest winner but too tight and predictable.

Glad to see that the laptop theft hasn't tilted you.

NC said...

Well it DID tilt the hell out of me. But I recovered pretty quickly I guess...

And yeah about the bet the goal would have been to make that person a winner using full 100BB buy ins, so avoiding the short stacking strategy.

You're probably right that it's not something that can really be done, but it still makes for interesting coffee machine discussion with my poker buddy!