Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Gut shots and sick calls

Well tonight's home game was pretty quiet, played only 3 handed. It was all going really well until the following hand happened (2 hands before the end of the night too!)

I am on the button and look at KJ offsuit, so I raise it to 3BB and the SB calls. Flop comes 9 J 3 rainbow. SB bets and I call. Turn comes a J. SB checks, I bet and SB pushes all in. I go in the tank for a while and end up calling. SB flips 33... and I lose a huge pot.

What pisses me off in this story is that I thought about it for a while and got stuck on 2 hands I was thinking that could beat me (AJ and J9). Figuring that either needs the case Jack, I call. I never even considered pocket 9s or pocket 3s!!! I guess I had a few too many beers/baileys/ports... I don't mind losing a hand and I can't even say with absolute certainty that I would have folded this hand if I had thought about it. I just hate the fact that, like a fscking noob, I called without seeing the obvious hands that could beat me!!! Oh well... let the steam go away and learn from it I guess...

On a good note... tonight was a gut shot fest for me. I seriously got at least 6 gut shots the whole night. This caused in me an epiphany : the way I play gut shot is a big leak in my game. I guess that's the good that came out of the evening... I lost a few bucks but discovered a pretty blatant leak. Now time to analyze hand histories and go back to the drawing board! Let's fix that!!

No comments: